Moss Creek Lake
Moss Creek Lake was originally constructed in 1938 by the City of Big Spring with help from the Army Corp of Engineers as a surface water source. The water surface of the lake became an asset of the Colorado River Municipal Water District when the City helped form the District in 1947. Currently the water is pumped from E.V. Spence Reservoir to Moss Creek Lake and then transferred to the CRMWD transmission system. Not only does Moss Creek Lake provide water for Howard County and several surrounding counties, it also serves as a recreational facility.
The City of Big Spring is proud to offer approximately 400 acres at Moss Lake for recreational use. Moss Creek Lake offers 26 sheltered campsites as well as 2 large pavilions available for reservation. These pavilions are equipped with electricity and well suited for family reunions, company picnics or any other large outing.
Recreational activities at Moss Lake include a playground, paintball course, dirt bike course and a beach swimming area. The RV Park and campground offers both full hook-up (includes water, sewer, and electricity) and half hook-up (water and electricity). A dump station is also provided. Overnight camping by permit is allowed throughout the facility. Moss Lake is open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.